2014年10月6日 星期一

An Open Letter to Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada

Dear Prime Minister,

I am a Canadian citizen living in Hong Kong, who urges you to support the Canadians who are participating in the democratic movement undergoing in Hong Kong now.

As you may know, the movement was coined as “umbrella revolution” by the international media. Last Sunday, I inhaled tear gas with hundreds of thousands of peaceful protesting students who only equipped with umbrellas and safety goggles. Starting from yesterday, gangsters and mobs, operating under the very nose of the Hong Kong Police Force, widely beating up protesters and sexual harassing students and ladies on the streets. Many of my Canadian friends have been alongside with me and other protesters antagonizing those violent actions. I urge the Canadian Government to take any possible and immediate action to back our fellow Canadians in Hong Kong in this humanity crisis.

I studied high school in Richmond, Vancouver. I still remember the scene that my History 11 teacher was teaching about the Battle of Vimy Ridge: “Canada became a real country when our troops captured the top of Vimy Ridge.” Canadian soldiers fought overseas, they were not only fought for others, but were also safeguarding the democratic values of Canada. The history I learnt in the classroom in Richmond is the reason I am standing on the streets of Hong Kong right now.

Hong Kong is in a time of need, once again, I urge for your open action to align with the Canadian citizens as well as many Hong Kong citizens in safeguarding the democratic values that we all treasure in Hong Kong.

Yours sincerely,

Christopher Ke-cheong Yeung

Oct 4.2014


沒有留言:

張貼留言